(1) Discuss the following questions with your partner. Then show your
opinions to class. (Activity 2a)
① What do people usually do on vacation? (Possible answers)
They usually go to the beach/ mountains/ farm/ summer camp ….
They usually visit the museum/ grandparents/ friends….
They usually go fishing/ camping/ swimming …
They do sports/ ….
② What activities do you find enjoyable? (Answers will vary.)
(2) Show some pictures about Penang, Malaysia. Let the Ss guess where it is.
① Where is it? ② How is it? ③ Do they want to visit it?
Read Jane’s diary entries about her vacation and answer the following two questions. (Activity 2b)
① Did Jane have a good time on Monday?
→Yes. She had a good time on Monday.
② What about on Tuesday?
→No. She didn’t have a good time on Tuesday.
Read Jane’s diary entries again. Fill in the chart and then check the answers. (Activity 2c)
Things Jane did or saw
Did she like it?
Why or why not?
It was exciting.
Ate Malaysian yellow noodles
They were delicious.
Walked around Georgetown
She liked old buildings there and wondered what life was like in the past.
Went to Penang Hill
Waited long for the train, got wet and cold, couldn’t see anything because of bad weather, had no money for food.
Had one bowl of rice and some fish
It tasted great because she was hungry.
Read Jane’s diary entries carefully, find the difficulties and then discuss with partners.
① I arrived in Penang in Malaysia this morning.
2) arrive后跟宾语时，必须带介词in或at，其中arrive in + 表示区域范围的地点，如国、省、市、县、镇和村等；arrive at + 表示机构、场所的小地点。
3) “arrive + home/here/there地点副词”时，in/at省略。
(4) arrive at/in，get to和reach三者含义相同。
【针对练习】 用动词arrive (in/at)的适当形式填空。
1. Tom __________ Linyi at 8:00 yesterday.
2. You must ________ the train station before 8:00.
3. Jane usually _______ home very late after school.
4. When you ______, please call me at 4293888.
Answers: 1.arrived in 2.arrive at 3.arrives 4.arrive
② So we decided to go to the beach near our hotel.
decide意为“决定；决心”，后跟动词不定式，即“decide to do sth”。如： They decide to visit the museum this weekend.
③My sister and I tried paragliding.姐姐和我尝试了滑翔伞运动。
1）try doing sth意为“尝试做某事”，表示一种尝试、做做看的想法，不一定付出很多努力。
2）try to do sth. 意为“尽力、设法去做某事”，表示想尽一切办 法要把事情办成，强调付出一定的努力设法去完成。
3) try也可用作名词， 如have a try意为“试一试”。
I ____________ him, but no one answered.
2. 我尽力把英语学好。I __________________ English well.
Answers：1.tried calling 2.try to study
④ I felt like I was a bird. 我感觉自己就像一只小鸟。
1) feel like意为“感觉像；感受到”，后常接从句。如：
He feels like he is swimming. 他感觉像在游泳一样。
2) feel like意为“想要”，后接名词、代词或动名词。如：
Do you feel like a cup of tea now? 你现在想喝杯茶吗？
Do you feel like taking a walk with me? 你想跟我一起散步吗？
⑤ because of 和because辨析
1) because of为介词短语，后接名词、代词或动名词，不能接句子。如： Because she got up late, she was late for school.
Because of the bad weather, she was late for school.
【针对练习】用because of 或because填空。
1. He lost his job because of his age.
2. I didn’t buy the shirt because it was too expensive.
1）different是形容词，意为“不同的”，可以用作定语或表语，短语be different from意为“…不同于…”。
There are different kinds of noodles in the noodle house.
People always describe the same person differently.
Can you tell me the differences between the two words?
1. They’re in the same class, but in different classes.
2. There are two differences between Picture 1 and picture 2.
3. The Americans spell some words differently from the British
⑦ I wonder what life was like here in the past.
1) wonder意为“想知道；琢磨”,其后常接who, what, why等疑问词引导的宾语从句。
I wonder who the boy is. 我想知道那个男孩是谁。
I wonder when the train will go. 我想知道火车何时开。
2) “wonder + ful → wonderful”
n.奇迹 + 充满的 adj.精彩的
The Tian’anmen Square is wonderful.
⑧ I really enjoyed walking around the town.
1) enjoy意为“喜爱；欣赏；享受……的乐趣”，“enjoy + (doing) sth” 喜欢(做)某事。
Do you enjoy your job? 你喜欢你的工作吗？
I enjoy reading books. 我喜欢读书。
2) “enjoy + 反身代词”，与have a good time和have fun同义，意为 “玩得开心 ”。
I enjoyed myself on vacation. 我假期过得开心。
=I have a good time on vacation. =I have fun on vacation.
⑨ What a difference a day makes! 一天的变化有多大呀！
(1) What + a/an +adj. + 可数名词单数 + 主语 + 谓语！
What a sunny day it is! 今天多晴朗呀！
(2) What + adj. + 复数或不可数名词 + 主语 + 谓语！
What fun today is! 今天多开心呀！
What beautiful flowers they are! 多么漂亮的花啊！
⑩ My father didn’t bring enough money. 爸爸没带足够的钱。
We have enough time to do our homework.
I know him well enough. 我对他足够熟悉。
He was old enough to go to school. 他够上学的年龄了。
( ) He got up ____________ to arrive on time.
A. enough early B. early enough